IW Council are launching our Save on Summer campaign this week. The campaign aims to signpost families to cost of living support over the school summer holidays.
Media ads on all Island media website are now running. Radio ads on IW Radio go live next week.
Over 4000 printed leaflets have been distributed and all schools will receive digital copies of the support leaflet and competition leaflet we have produced ahead of the summer holidays.
A key part of the campaign is an online competition which is live on this webpage. We also have a Facebook competition going live on 31 July. Both competitions aim to engage families in maths challenges to win prizes that can help them over the summer. The competitions have been created by our Adult Community Learning team as part of their Multiply campaign. Thanks to the Museums service and 1Lesiure for supporting the competitions with prizes.
A more detailed Save on Summer email will be forwarded to you next week.
Cost of Living support
Use our cost of living web pages to see what’s available near you. You can also call us on 01983 823134.
Contact Citizens Advice Isle of Wight on 0800 144 88 48 firstname.lastname@example.org. Their advice is free, confidential and independent. They can help with debt, benefits, legal advice and much more.
Contact The Footprint Trust for free advice or call them 01983 822282.
Use the connect4communities website to see what other support is available in your area.
The government Help for Households website has information about help with childcare costs, benefits and many other schemes.
Holiday Activities and Food (HAF) programme
There are still some free places on the Holiday Activities and Food programme, particularly for secondary school pupils. The scheme offers different activities and a free nutritious meal every day.
Places are for children who get benefits-related free school meals. Paid for places may also be available for other families.
Places are currently available on:
- Globe Fit at St Francis school in Ventnor. This programme runs for 4 weeks from the 24 July.
- CM Sports, different locations and different dates over the summer:
- Queensgate Primary School, East Cowes, 24 to 28 July
- The Bay Primary School, Sandown, 31 July to 4August
- Oakfield C of E Primary School, Ryde, 7 to 11 August
- Barton Primary School, Newport, 14 to 18 August
- Nine Acres Primary School, Newport, 21 to 25 August
- CM Sports are also running day activities for years 7 to 11 based at Medina College on a Tuesday and Thursday throughout the summer. Trips include Robin Hill, WightWater plus cookery and multi sports at the school.
- Football Fun Factory- for school years 1-9
Monday 24 to Thursday 27 July 2023, 9:00am to 3:30pm
Monday 14 to Thursday 17 August 2023 , 9:00am to 3:30pm
The Bay Sandown:
Monday 7 to Thursday 11 August 2023, 9:00am to 3:30pm
Monday 21 to to Thursday 24 August 2023, 9:00am to 3:30pm
- The Starlight Academy performing arts for school years 2 to 11
Week beginning 21 August, 10am to 3pm Tuesday to Friday
- John Cattle’s Skate Club for school years 4 to 11
Cowes Enterprise College
Monday to Friday, 24 to 28 July and 7 to 11 August 10.00am to 2.30pm
Sandown Bay Academy
Monday to Friday, 21 to 25 August, 10am to 2.30pm
- Network Ryde days out for years 7 to 11
7 to 10 August, 10am to 3pm
A reminder that Community Pantries are free to join for all residents
- Community pantries are free to join.
- Anyone can use them to top up their weekly shop – you don’t need to be on benefits.
- Join a pantry and for £5 a week, receive over £15 worth of food.
- You don’t need a referral, contact your nearest pantry directly to join.
- There are currently pantries in East Cowes, Newport, Ventnor and Ryde
50% off entry to Newport Roman Villa
We’ve got vouchers for 50% off entry to Newport Roman Villa to give away this summer!
Did you know Newport Roman Villa was discovered in 1926 when someone dug foundations for a garage?!
It’s a great place to take the kids this summer holiday. We’re giving away vouchers that get you 50% off entry for your family.
You can pick a voucher up from:
- Dinosaur Isle, Sandown, PO36 8QA
- The Museum of Island History, Guildhall, Newport, PO30 1TY
- Carisbrooke Castle Museum, PO30 1XY
Terms and conditions:
Offer valid until 30 September 2023
One voucher valid for up to six tickets
You must show the 50% off voucher to claim the discount.
Not valid with any other offers or discounts
We have limited supplies of vouchers. They are available on a first come first served basis.
Working parents benefit from increased Universal Credit childcare payments
The Department for Work and Pensions has announced that it has raised the amount that parents on Universal Credit can claim for childcare.
If you want to go back to work or increase your hours and you are eligible, the government will help you cover the costs for the first month of childcare. Those parents will now receive up to 85% of those childcare costs back before their next month’s bills are due.
Take these two steps to help yourself to a better summer:
- Talk to your childcare provider about childcare availability.
- Book an appointment with your Universal Credit work coach to find out about all the support available to help you back to work from training to childcare.
Ready, Set Read! 2023 Summer Reading Challenge
Encourage our young people to escape into a world of imagination this summer.
Sign them up for this year’s free Summer Reading Challenge, taking place in all Island libraries.
About the challenge:
Children aged between 4 and 11 are asked to borrow and read 6 books over the summer.
As they read and record their books they collect rewards. Anyone that reads six books gets a medal and certificate.
To take part, all children need to do is visit their nearest library or community library so they can pick up the books to enjoy at home or use the council’s online reading services.
This year’s Summer Reading Challenge theme Ready, Set, Read! has been developed in partnership with the Youth Sports Trust.
There’s a special mini-challenge for children under the age of 4
Use the special Summer Reading Challenge website where kids can set their own goals, rate and review their books to unlock badges, play games, and enter competitions.
Be aware of investment scams
Please share this useful reminder from IWASP – Isle of Wight Against Scams Partnership. Criminals may try to persuade you to invest in different products from virtual currency to alternative energy.
- Initial investments may yield small returns to encourage you to invest more money. Eventually the fraudster will stop communicating and your money will be gone.
- Glossy brochures, prestigious addresses and Companies House registration do not guarantee that it’s a genuine company.
- Be wary of companies that offer to recover any investments that you may have lost to investment scams. This could be a Recovery Scam.
- If something sounds too good to be true it probably is!
- Genuine investment companies will never cold call you
- Before investing check the Financial Conduct Authority Register to see if the firm or individual you are dealing with is authorised along with the FCA Warning List of firms to avoid
- Do your research and speak to Trading Standards if you are worried.
Losing weight and feeling good
A new healthy weight loss programme managed by gloji is coming to the Isle of Wight and it’s free!
The 12-week programme offers a range of options so people can choose the most suitable method for their lifestyle.
To take part, people must live on or be registered with a GP on the Isle of Wight and have a BMI (body mass index) of over 30 (or over 27.5 for certain groups).
Join up and you’ll get
- access to healthy recipes
- online fitness sessions
- information about food and physical activity
- help with motivation and planning
- support groups
Get more information on the gloji website.