There will be no monthly ward meeting on the 2nd February (this Thursday) and the next meeting will be on Thursday 2nd March 2023 at 7pm at St. John’s Church Hall.
My monthly up-date is as follows:
- Standing Down as Mayor in May 2023 – I gave notice this week at Ryde Town Council Full Council Meeting that I will be standing down as Mayor after 4 years. I feel I have contributed in transformation of the Council to be into a more effective and proactive organisation that is tackling issues in the Town.
- West Acre Park – The Planning Application is now coming back to IW Planning Committee on the 21st March or 24th April 2023 depending on when Captiva Homes comes back to IW Council with their agreement with Natural England regarding migrating birds and Solent waders (such as curlews) who feed/breed on the Westridge Farm site. The case officer then has to complete a report. Until the planning committee agrees to this change to the proposed legal S106 agreement, IW Council cannot issue consent and the development cannot start. There are two outcomes (1) the planning committee votes against the agreement and therefore in theory the application falls although the applicant/developers could appeal at this stage (2) the planning committee votes for the report and issues consent which would enable the residents’ solicitors to go to court to start the process of judicial review – See Save Westridge Farm Campaign (crowdjustice.com) for updates.
- Pennyfeathers Reserved Matters (Planning Application) The final report by the planning case officer is being prepared and is scheduled to go to planning committee on either 21st March or 24th April planning committee meetings.
- Victoria Crescent Depot – The planning permission for the 4 bungalows and 1 house have been renewed but consent has not been signed off as probate has to be issued. The executors of the will of the late Steve Darch (owner of site) are keeping me in formed. The site will be put of for sale as soon as consent is given and the estate agents will be Scotchers Commercial Estate Agent – Isle of Wight – Scotcher & Co Commercial Properties (scotcherandco.co.uk) I am still working with the IW Community-Led building worker at IW Community Action about the possibility of a community-led building project but this can only be evaluated once we know the price of the site. I will inform residents living near the site once I have further information and arrange a meeting.
- 158/153, Marlborough Road – I am still pursuing a future for these derelict houses and find a way of bringing them back into use.
- Appley Tower – Everything is now coming together and the project to renovate and restore Appley Tower should be launched hopefully in March 2023 (please see my website www.michaellilley.uk for updates). A lease has been agreed by IW Council to Natural Enterprise Appley Tower :: Natural Enterprise and planning permission has been granted including for 4 new beach huts that will provide income for the sustainability of the Tower. All the funding has been agreed subject to all agreements being signed. There is to be an Appley Park and Beach stakeholders meeting on 8th February at 630pm at Ryde Rowing Club when there will be an update of all activities in the Appley Zone. Please attend if you particular have an interest in Appley Park and Beach. Appley Day 2023 is currently being planned.
- Dog Poo Campaign in Ward – There has been an increase in dog excrement in the Ward and RTC/IWC Environmental officers have been in particular targeting High Park Road. The officers have the powers to issue fines for dog owners that do not pick up the “poo”. Please do report dog fouling to Island Roads or email Sophia.firstname.lastname@example.org
- St. John’s Church and Hall – There is a proposal to develop the church site to become Ryde Appley and Elmfield Community Centre and Hub. There was a well attended meeting on the 28th January 2023 and a steering group is being established. There is a warm space/help and support for all ward residents every Thursday 12pm-4pm. Ryde Town Council’s Community Development Worker regularly attends and has recently got funding for food vouchers for those in need. See Ryde Town Council website or facebook page www.facebook.com/rydetowncouncil to see updates of help regarding cost of living crisis.
- Pancake Day Challenge – I went to Erica Manley’s funeral last Friday and it was very moving. Erica and I established the annual Ryde pancake event in 2016 to raise money for Ryde Food Bank and other poverty projects and over £10,000 has been raised since then. The Pancake Challenge this year will be in Erica’s memory. This year’s event will be during the day at Oakfield School and in the afternoon at Pickle and Dill on Union Street. Money raised this year will be for Ryde Foodbank, Ryde Foodshare (Oakfield) and Community Pantry at Oakfield School. For further information please get updates on website www.michaellilley.uk
- Potholes, traffic issues and road works – I am following up a list of potholes in the ward including Salisbury, Little Preston, Carlton and Great Preston Road plus the bus stop on Appley Road that continually floods.
The above is current issues on my work programme but please email me on Michael.email@example.com if you have issues I have missed.