West Hill and Park Road in Ryde Appley and Elnfield Ward were flooded out and questions were being asked by residents why the £5M flood defences in Simieon Recreation Ground did not protect them. It seems only two of the wooden door levels were put in place when four should have been. It appears these were being put in place by the Environment Agency at 530am on the 25th October 2023 and the workmen got called away to flooding in Newport before finishing the job. I will asking further questions.
Pictures below show the flooding in Park Road and the plight of a local charity, Tidal Family Support.
Tidal Family Support Flooded Out
Tidal Family Support are a wonderful charity base in my ward on Park Road. They help 100s if not 1000s of vulnerable families on Isle of Wight. They were flooded out today and Lemlec, their neighbours helped them in getting rid of the water.
It is half term and Tidal is a lifeline for so many children and families. 15 children today had sessions cancelled due to flooding.
We need to make sure this important charity is back in action quickly and supported. They literally save lives. Lemlec were amazing and when I asked them to help an elderly resident who had no electricity. They immediately responded. A really community spirited company.
I was contacted by Times Radio and spoke on the Carole Walker Show about the flooding.
Useful contact numbers if you are affected by the flooding in Ryde.
- if you need to be evacuated because of severe flooding or damage, contact the police or dial 999
- for general issues around flooding, contact us on 01983 823600
- if you believe the flooding is from a main river or the sea, contact the Environment Agency
- the Environment Agency also provides help on flooding issues via its Floodline: 0345 988 1188
- to report flooding on the highway or drainage issues, contact Island Roads
- notify Southern Water if flooding affects your mains sewage/public drains
- notify the National Grid to report a gas leak as the result of flooding on 0800 111 999
- notify OVO of electrical issues such as power cuts or if you need your power supply disconnecting by calling 105
- for non-emergency calls pertaining to vulnerable older people, call Adult Services on 01983 823340 or 01983 821105 outside of office hours
- call NHS 111 for non-urgent health concerns
Aspire Ryde – are helping and supporting our islands residents and should you need support please come up to the church on Dover Street or call reception on 01983 240 732 any time up till 18:00hrs
After 18:00hrs please contact the Isle of Wight Council on 01983 823111 for support and information.