There is a strong infrastructure of support for people struggling this winter on the Island
Please see this Facebook post and read below.
Affording healthy food
We know that a key need during the cost of living crisis is getting hold of affordable healthy food.
Some tips are:
- Use our cost of living web pages to see what’s available near you. You can tap this link to go straight to the food information.
- Contact Citizens Advice Isle of Wight on 0800 144 88 48 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Their advice is free, confidential and independent. They will be able to help you find out what’s on offer and may be able to help in other ways too.
- If you know of a community hub near you, pop in and have a chat to see what’s available in your area. There are free food hubs dotted across the Island.
- Use the connect4communities website to see what other support is available in your area.
- Use a community pantry. For £5 a week, receive over £15 worth of food. Membership is free and isn’t means tested, anyone can join.
There are currently three pantries on the Island, with more planned. One will open in Newport in April.
- 01983 296592 East Cowes Community Pantry
- 07961 959003 Ventnor Community Pantry
- 01983 563732 Ryde Community Pantry
Get more information and opening times on the connect4communities website.
Energy bill info if you’ve got a traditional prepayment meter
Traditional prepayment meter customers are being sent vouchers each month by their supplier. Many vouchers haven’t been redeemed. Please ask your residents to make sure they redeem their vouchers to make sure you get the full £400.
- Vouchers expire after 90 days but you can ask your supplier to reissue them if lost, not received or expired.
- All vouchers must be redeemed by 30 June 2023.
- The supplier sends information with each voucher advising whether they should be taken to a Post Office or PayPoint.
- Some clients may have received their discount via a Special Action Message.
- Any issues, including problems with a supplier’s helpline can be notified to email@example.com.
- More details on the government website: Help with your energy bills: Getting a discount on your energy bill – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Get 12 months of fitness for the price of 11 at 1Leisure
The 1Leisure contract membership is the most affordable and accessible way to get into shape and stay healthy. With a cost of only £6.98 per week (with our promotion), you can get 12 months of gym membership for the price of 11. Our contract membership includes access to all our fitness equipment, group classes, swimming pools, racket sports and health suite giving you everything you need to get fit and stay healthy.
Find out more on the 1Lesiure website.
Community and voluntary organisations and town, parish and community councils, should apply now for grants to help support those in need in their communities.
A total of £240,000 is available to support local initiatives helping to provide vulnerable families with food, utilities and keeping warm.
The deadline for applications is 1 March 2023, but the panel consider applications weekly.
Find the application form and more information on the connect4communities website.
Free fun day at Dinosaur Isle this Sunday 26 February
Everyone is welcome to Dinosaur Isle, Culver Parade, Sandown, PO36 8QA between 10am and 4pm this Sunday.
Visitors will be able to:
- Learn out about the five new species of dinosaur that have been recognised within the museum’s collection since the last open day in 2020.
- Discover other new finds from experienced palaeontologists and geologists from the museum and get answers to your dinosaur queries
- Find out about the Island in days gone by! The Isle of Wight Bus Museum are bringing along a vintage bus.
- Discover more about the importance of the Island in the Creative Biosphere Project with The Island Collection.
- Learn the significance of conservation with displays from The Wildheart Trust
- And simply enjoy the museum and meet other local organisations.
Please share this Facebook post.
Green Garden Waste
The Isle of Wight Council’s Green Garden Waste collection service is now open for new subscribers, who want to sign up for the garden waste collection service for the 2023/24 subscription year.
Receiving the fortnightly service is easy. Just go to www.iow.gov.uk/gardenwastesubscriptions to fill in some details, click and pay, and the service will come to you.
To check your collection day please visit: www.iow.gov.uk/greengardenwaste
The closing date for all subscriptions is 17 March 2023.