Contact Citizens Advice Isle of Wight on 0800 144 88 48 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Their advice is free, confidential and independent. They can help with debt, benefits, legal advice and much more.
Contact The Footprint Trust for free advice or call them 01983 822282.
Use the connect4communities website to see what other support is available in your area.
The government Help for Households website has information about help with childcare costs, benefits and many other schemes.
Please share this Facebook post.
Two energy bill support schemes end soon
Two schemes that are part of the Energy Bills Support Scheme (EBSS) close on May 31 2023. Please remember to apply if you haven’t automatically had your funding via your electricity company.
- Are you a care home resident or living in a park home?
The Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding may be for you. It’s for households who haven’t received their £400 energy bill support and includes certain park home residents and partially or wholly self-funded care home residents. For more information on eligibility and to apply go to this page on the government website.
- A £200 Alternative Fuels Payment (AFP) is available for homes that:
- are in England, Scotland or Wales
- use alternative fuels for most of their heating, such as liquid petroleum gas (LPG), oil or solid fuel. This includes people who use wood such as logs, waste wood or pellets (biomass).
- are connected to the electricity grid
You should have received an automatic payment for this. If you haven’t, please go to this web page for information and to apply.
If you would rather talk to someone or need help to fill out your application, call the government helpline on 0808175328.
A council officer will be at Pan Together, Downside Community Centre from 9am to 3pm on Wednesday 24 May.
You can share this Facebook post or tweet.
Pension Credit – act now
People on a low income should check now to see if they qualify for Pension Credit in order to also receive a Cost of Living Payment of £301. Claim Pension Credit before 19 May and still qualify for the latest Cost of Living Payment. If a claim is made before 19 May 2023, it can be backdated for up to three months if the applicant was also eligible for Pension Credit during that time. Payments will be made directly into your bank account.
More info about Pension Credit:
- people of State Pension age may be entitled to Pension Credit even though they may have modest savings, or a retirement income or own their own home
- an award of Pension Credit can provide access to a range of other benefits such as help with housing costs, council tax, heating bills and for those aged 75 or over, a free TV licence
The Pension Credit claim line is available Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm on 0800 99 1234. They can fill in an application for you over the phone.
Get more info and apply for Pension Credit
Newport community pantry now open
- Community pantries are free and for anyone so they can top up their weekly shop.
- Join a pantry and for £5 a week, receive over £15 worth of food.
- You don’t need a referral, contact your nearest pantry directly to join.
Newport Community Pantry
The Pyle Street Pantry, 98 Pyle Street, Newport, PO30 1UH.
Wednesday 11am to 1pm
East Cowes Community Pantry
Community Spirited, Vectis Road, East Cowes, PO32 6HN
Tuesday, 1:30pm to 3:30pm
Wednesday and Thursday, 10:30am to 12:30pm
Ventnor Community Pantry
Baby Box, Victoria Street, Ventnor, PO38 1EJ
Tuesday 3pm to 6pm
Saturday 11am to 2pm
Ryde Community Pantry
Oakfield CE Primary School, Appley Road, Ryde, PO33 1NE
Monday, Wednesday and Friday
3.00pm to 4.30pm
Other locations also have free or low cost food provision – get more info about community pantries and accessing healthy food on our website
Entry to Clay Days at Newport Roman Villa £1 per person this half term
Drop in any time to Newport Roman Villa from 10 am to 2.30pm on Wednesday 31 May and Friday 2 June and entry is just £1 per person!
There’s lots to see and do including:
- Take part in the animal themed photo hunt
- Make a clay face pot to take home!
Our Clay Days are really popular! A family at the last one said it was a “brilliant low cost-visit that we all really enjoyed.”
No booking required, but numbers may be limited in the activity room at busy times.
Practical tips for mental health and wellbeing – free course
Take part in a practical and interactive course to understand what influences your own mental health and wellbeing. Discover how to use your new skills to support people in your community.
You’ll learn how to:
- recognise people that may be experiencing poor mental health. Learn how to provide them with first level support and early intervention.
- reflect on your own mental health and wellbeing
- find out about the importance of sleep, diet, exercise, hobbies and interests, relationships and giving back.
- encourage people to identify and access sources of professional help and other supports.
- practice self-care
The course is free and are taught either online or face to face. It will be led by Kate Golding, a respected clinician and teacher for mental health.
The course is open to anyone aged 16 and above.
If you need more help with booking, please contact email@example.com
Abi Fox | Public Health and Community communications lead| Isle of Wight Council | County Hall | Newport | Isle of Wight PO30 1UD
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | web: www.iow.gov.uk
Get support with the cost of living on the Isle of Wight Council website